Please don’t do this.
[T]he defense counsels did not respect the judge’s ruling.[I]n an astounding show of contempt, [they] tried to force the judge to reverse himself by their unilateral withdrawal from the proceedings, on the apparent pretext that they were not prepared.They did not:
- voir dire the members
- challenge any member
- make an opening statement
- object to any prosecution exhibit
- cross-examine any prosecution witness
- object to any prosecution question
- present any defense case
- engage with the judge to prepare instructions to the members
- make closing argument
- object to clearly objectionable prosecution evidence
- present any matter in extenuation and mitigation
- most glaringly, they permitted appellant to make a very damaging and rambling unsworn statement without any apparent coaching or counselling whatsoever.
United States v. Galinato, 28 M.J. 1049, 1989 CMR LEXIS 488 (N-M.C.M.R. 1989).