As tallied by NBC News and the Associated Press (and me), they include:
- Sept 13, 2009: SPC Beyshee Velez shoots civilian contractor at COB Speicher, Tikrit, Iraq. In pretrial confinement at Ford Island Naval Brig, Pearl Harbor, pending an Article 32, UCMJ, hearing.
- July, 20, 2009: Fort Hood officials have a soldier behind bars after another soldier was shot and killed at a party on the Central Texas Army post. 30-year-old Spc. Ryan Richard Schlack of Oshkosh, Wis., died at a Fort Hood hospital July 18. The Killeen Daily Herald reported he was hit by a bullet another soldier fired into a crowd on the lawn. A Fort Hood soldier, Spc. Armano Baca was charged with the murder.
- May 11, 2009: Five soldiers shot dead at Camp Liberty in Baghdad by Sgt. John Russell. Pending court-martial. Currently confined at Butner Federal Medical Center, for a mental competence determination.
- Sept. 8, 2008: Spc. Jody Michael Wirawan shoots himself to death after killing 1st Lt. Robert Bartlett Fletcher at Fort Hood.
- Feb. 25, 2008: Dustin Thorson, an Air Force technical sergeant, fatally shoots his son and daughter at home on Tinker Air Base in Oklahoma in domestic dispute with ex-wife. He had been diagnosed with post-traumatic stress disorder after returning from Iraq.
- June 7 2005: Two National Guard officers are killed by a grenade at headquarters in Tikrit. Staff Sgt. Alberto Martinez is later acquitted of murder in a court-martial.
- March 23, 2003: Army Sgt. Hasan Akbar tosses grenades into three tents and then fires a rifle at Camp Pennsylvania in Kuwait, killing one and injuring 14. Akbar later receives death sentence.
- Oct. 27, 1995: Sgt. William Kreutzer goes on shooting spree at Fort Bragg, killing one and injuring 18 in a sniper attack during formation. He is serving a life sentence after a death sentence was overturned.
- Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences/ Department of Defense/ Reuters
- MAJ (Dr.) Hasan is was born in VA.
- The son of immigrant parents from a small town near Jerusalem, he joined the Army right out of high school, against his parents’ wishes. The Army, in turn, put him through college and then medical school, where he trained to be a psychiatrist. (NYT)
- Who is Nidal Malik Hasan? StarTribune.